Brand Awareness Campaign
What does Harwich mean to you!
Help us find out and donate today!
Harwich’s Branding Initiative
The purpose of this branding position paper is to define what branding is, describe why Harwich is undertaking a branding study and to identify the potential benefits of branding for Harwich.
What is Branding?
Branding is about delivering a differentiated message to Harwich’s target audiences of tourists, businesses, residents and second home owners, on what Harwich is, what it offers and why it is the best community to meet their needs. Extensive information is collected to obtain a true picture of what Harwich’s brand is now, why, what it should be and how the preferred identity can best be accomplished. The branding message includes a bold, unique and specific statement that identifies Harwich. Branding is much more than just a name, design, logo, and tagline. The goal is to have Harwich’s target audiences recognize and identify with its brand, believe that it meets their needs and build interest, trust and loyalty.
Our objectives for the brand are to:
- Deliver a bold and unique message to specific audiences which clearly and consistently defines what Harwich is, what it has to offer and its vision for the future;
- Ensure that Harwich’s brand is believable and accepted;
- Connect Harwich’s target prospects emotionally;
- Motivate the prospects to “buy” from Harwich; and
- Cement user trust and loyalty.
We want Harwich to be on top of the minds of its target audiences. We want Harwich’s target audiences to buy from Harwich, be brand ambassadors and spread the word about Harwich.
Why is Harwich Undertaking a Branding Study? Harwich is undertaking a branding study because we are currently facing some significant opportunities and challenges. If we are to maximize opportunities and solve challenges, it will be critical to have a shared vision of what makes Harwich special. Identifying and developing that point of difference to be a unifying principle as we go forward, is the objective of the branding study. Opportunities include the: new Monomoy Regional School District; purchase and utilization of the Downey Property and the further development of Sequatucket Harbor; East Harwich Commercial Zone Concept; Middle School Repurposing; new Emerald Physicians/Cape Cod Healthcare facilities and Fontaine Urgent Care Center; future expansion of Outer Cape Health Services in Harwich; and OpenCape/CapeNet high speed fiber-optic network.
- Overall competitiveness of Harwich;
- Economic growth and related revenue growth;
- Limited resources that Harwich has to continue to improve and evolve;
- Ability to attract tourists to support Harwich’s local economy;
- A young educated workforce that can afford to live and work in the community;
- Housing that is affordable to residents, seasonal homeowners and young professionals;
- Ability to attract buyers and residents for Harwich’s commercial and residential real estate properties; and
- A commercial development zone that has the accessibility and infrastructure to attract new businesses for economic development and growth.
What are the Potential Benefits of Branding to Harwich?
Building a strong brand for Harwich is critical to its future. A strong brand will provide a:
- Platform for strengthening Harwich’s competitive position and generating revenue growth to support Harwich’s strategic initiatives and the local residential and business economy;
- Unifying theme for Harwich, aligning community activities and resources;
- Credible, differentiating framework for how we present Harwich to outsiders who may be potential visitors, residents, second homeowners or business owners;
- Way to create recognition, loyalty and advocacy for Harwich among its target audiences and current stakeholders in the town, reinforcing community goodwill.
Harwich Community Brand Project Committee